Here is the method which helps you in how to protect your external hard disk drives with passwords.You can use a software encryption program to prevent unauthorized users from accessing your data.So you will have to protect your external hard disk drives with passwords protected tools or softwares.For encryption these softwares and tools are used which are shown below.Learn the method how to protect your external hard disk drives with passwords.
How To Protect Your External Hard Disk Drives With Passwords
How To Protect Your External Hard Disk Drives
Using Bitlocker :-
- You will have to attach your external hard drive to your Windows or computer and power on the drive.
- Click on Start then open Control Panel and go to Security then their is a bitLocker Drive Encryption, after that open the BitLocker program.
- Click on Turn On BitLocker which is listed next to the external hard drive.
- Tick on the “Use a Password to Unlock the Drive” and enter a password in the “Type Your Password” and “Retype Your Password” fields, making sure the password is the same in both fields. Click “Next.”
- Click “Save the Recovery Key to a File,” choose a save location on your main hard drive and click “Save.” Alternatively, insert a USB flash drive in your USB port, click “Save the Recovery Key to a USB Flash Drive” and click “Save.” Either option creates a recovery key, so you can decrypt the drive if you forget your password. Click “Next.”
- Click “Start Encrypting” to encrypt the drive and require a password for subsequent access. The encryption process can take several minutes –or even hours– to complete, depending on the size of your drive and your processing power.
- You will have to download and install
- Now Plug your USB device and run StorageCrypt.
- Now select your device from Choose Disk Drive Section
- Select Quick encryption under Encryption Mode (Quick Mode is faster, but Deep encryption mode provides higher security.)
- Select Full option under Portable Use section.
- Enter your password two times and hit the Encrypt button to lock your drive. A bleep sound confirms the operation.
- Your USB drive is now encrypted and locked by password. The contents of the drive are inaccessible unless it is unlocked again.
Unlock drive using StorageCrypt
- Plug in and open your encrypted drive. You will be having a file called SClite.exe inside a folder named SClite. Run the SClite.exe file.
- Note: In case you don’t find the SClite folder, directly run StorageCrypt from your local system.
- Provide the password and click on Decrypt to unlock your drive.
- Once you’re done, close the previously opened SClite window and run SClite.exe file again. This time you’ll get the option to lock the drive. StorageCrypt is a Shareware with a 7 day trial period. If you want to continue after the trial, you need to purchase a lifetime license.
Using USB Copy Protection:-
- Firstly you will have to Download and install
- USB Copy Protection.
- Then plug in the USB drive and launch the software.
- Then the USB drives are shown in the Select Drives tab, If it doesn’t show up, click the Refresh button on the right side.
- Now select the particular USB drive you want to protect using USB Copy Protection.
- Now click on the Permissions tab. Here you can define different access levels for different users. The different access levels which may be assigned are Read, Write, Full or Custom. Additionally, you may also set the password for different users.
- If Custom access is selected, you can explicitly define user access permissions for the particular user.
- Now, proceed to the Options tab to configure the encryption strength and the Client name and title.
- Finally click on the Encrypt Now tab, type the Administrator password twice and click on Protect.
- Your drive is now protected with the configured access permissions. If you open the drive in Windows Explorer, only the USB Copy Protection Client file will be available. Run the client by double clicking on the file.
- Now login with valid user credentials.
- If the password is correct, the user will be granted access according to the access levels configured specifically for them.
So above method is on how to protect the external hard disk drives.Through this we can secure our data with various tools, just go through this method how to protect your external hard disk drives with passwords.